Friday, January 18, 2008

Team Player

I love football! Who would've thought that I would develop this new interest at this stage of the game (word play intended)? Until Ivan started to play last summer, I had a very vague perception of what the aim of the game was and what the rules might be, but that's changed, and I love it! At first I thought it was only a natural interest in my son's world, but his season is over and I still love to watch a game, or even, a movie that's about the game.
What do I love? I so enjoy the whole team aspect-how each player is so important and that everyone has to do their job in order for the play to work. I love that heart and commitment and effort are as important as skill or ability. I love that just because you're losing in one quarter, it doesn't mean the game is over or decided. I love the thrill of seeing a player catch a pass and weave and dodge his way through the other team's line and run for a touchdown, or the thrill of someone intercepting a throw and changing the whole play in a split second. What fun!

While watching a game on Sunday I felt myself wishing I could be a part of a team like that. I wanted to have my hard work and effort make a difference to the success of a team and contribute to a win. What would that be like?

Then I realized that I am on a team. Not football of course (have you seen me run or throw?), but on the more significant team of the body of Christ. And in a smaller focus, the body of my church family. Can I apply the team and game angle here? In my church family, does it make a difference if I do my job (serve in my giftedness)? Does my heart and commitment and effort make a difference to the body? Can I stand in the way of the enemy as he tries to take out my teammate? Can I be a part of deflecting an attempt of the enemy to defeat and watch as Jesus turns it into a victory? Can I encourage my team to keep going, even when it looks like we might be losing? Can I make sure my attitude is one of support to my teammates, even though they fall and maybe miss an opportunity? These are just a few thoughts. Think about it and see if you can add to the list (and post it here).

I'm so excited to be a part of the "team". We should get jerseys! (Trust me to bring clothes into the mix.) But seriously, I'm inspired by the thought that my commitment makes a difference to more than just my little world. That I can "block" for my brother or sister in Jesus. That the victory is sure, even though at times it doesn't look like it is.

I love Jesus and how He loves us enough to allow us to participate, growing and learning and building our "muscle" as we do so. That every effort builds on the last and makes us stronger.
He is so good!

" 1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. 2 We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne. 3 Think of all the hostility he endured from sinful people; then you won’t become weary and give up. " Hebrews 12:1-3


Let me know what you think!
Iris

1 comment:

Kerri said...

Needless to say, the football analogy was a big hit at our house! You have a real gift for writing, Iris. I enjoyed reading your thoughts, and was inspired to think of myself as more of a team player. And I agree: I think we should get team T-shirts!