Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Baby, It's Cold Outside!

OK, before I slip down into a pit of cold despair as a result of this seemingly endless winter, I want to think of reasons to be thankful for cold weather (-35 Celsius for how long now?) and snow.

1) No yard work.
2) My children have hope every night that school will be canceled the next morning because of extreme windchills. It's good for kids to have hope.
3) The walk to the bus every morning makes them stronger and gives them stories to tell their children. "When I was your age...."
4) A quick trip to put out the garbage gives your face a rosy glow that would take a couple of hours at the beach in summer. It's a real time saver!
5) A sunny day isn't taken for granted. Sun dogs are pretty.
6) My kids are stuck at home more, so they have no where to go when I start telling stories. "When I was your age...."
7) The snow conceals the fact that I should not be quite so optimistic about my gardening abilities. No one sees my failure in winter. (Right?)
8) No yard work.


That's all I can think of right now. My mind is numb. From the cold. Have I mentioned it's cold?

I'm really not that down about it, but I do long for the break to this cold spell. How about you? My warmer climate friends may not be able to relate, but you do get to gloat, so I hope you enjoy this anyway!

Friends, add to my list. Let's think of things we can like about this extreme cold!

To end, here's a favorite verse from the Song of Solomon

"Look, the winter is past,
and the rains (snow) are over and gone.
The flowers are springing up,
the season of singing birds has come,
and the cooing of turtledoves fills the air.

The fig trees are forming young fruit,
and the fragrant grapevines are blossoming.
Rise up my darling!
Come away with me , my fair one!"

Longing for that day,
Iris

1 comment:

sharona said...

Spring will come. It always has. I too enjoy that this is the time of year that no one says, "you are not a yard person are you?"

I like the part about the kids having hope even if it is the hope of not having school.

I look longingly at my deck where I like to sit in the spring, summer and fall. Oh well, I do have somewhere warm to sit for now and no guilt about the yardwork not getting done which there is in the spring, summer and fall. (guilt I mean)

Fight on Manitoba!!! It is getting warmer.