Friday, February 15, 2008

Sunday's a'comin!

I've been thinking about my church family this week. It started last Sunday in the ladies SS class I attend, while we were talking about worship and the people we worship with.

Sometimes I like to look at my church through different eyes than normal, and pretend that I'm reading a book about this community and it's people. I love seeing people I've known my whole life this way because their quirks and personalities tend to be endearing rather than annoying. God in His grace has given us an incredible gift when he gave us communities to worship and grow in. I love it that he planned it this way, rather than leaving me to go it alone.

And in turn gives me the chance, as I sit in the service and look around, to pray for people I love who are fighting cancer, the effects of old age, the pain of losing someone dear, discouragement in their families or jobs... And then there's the hidden pain sitting in those pews. Unseen battles being fought.

What a privilege to be a part of the support and strength for what could be described as a motley crew, but because of God is a beautiful body of believers!

This Sunday I was also moved to be thankful for another gracious gift-the privilege of worshiping my Savior beside these people and to enjoy the bond that comes from being one in purpose and focus. To sing together to our God and to know in that moment that anything that may threaten to draw us apart or divide cannot prevail if we are in unity and in Him. It's a beautful thing, and I don't want to take it for granted. I love that it is just the tiniest taste of what is coming in Glory.

So, these are my decidely rambling thoughts. As you can tell, I can't quite put it into words, but I wanted to try. I wanted to enjoy and savor it and to say thank you to Jesus for loving us enough to call us to unity. And for making a much less than perfect collection of sinful believers into something beautiful that reflects His glory.

See you on Sunday!

2 comments:

Christy said...

I think this is a beautiful description of church and what our attitudes should be towards each other.

So often I have seen the opposite and it is so refreshing to hear and feel your joy.

sharona said...

How often have I sat in a pew and felt lonely and sorry for myself never thinking that maybe someone was praying for me or that maybe I could be using that time to pray for those around me that seemed to have it all together and maybe inside were having the same feelings I was having. How blessed we are to be part of the family of God. Thanks!