Friday, October 3, 2008

Hold on to Your Kids

I went to a seminar last night that was taught by a Dr. Gordon Neufeld. I have a friend who had read one of his books (I believe by the same name-Hold on to Your Kids) and really liked it, so I thought I would make the time to attend this free offering. The seminar really was good-it clarified so many things and gave hope.
Dr. Neufeld's focus is on relationship. He says that children in good relationship with their parents are easy to teach and parent. They trust you and move to the place in their relationship with you in which they desire to please and emulate you. He had some very good points, which I won't begin to try and write here, but the focus was on "Do you have your child's heart?" He reminded us that even with a multi billion dollar industry in parenting help, we are losing our kids at a record rate. It's not a "how-to" issue, it's a heart issue.
So, I want to hold onto my kids and I certainly want their hearts. I want to delight in them and enjoy them and meet them where they are, so that they in turn know that my love for them is solid-it will never change. I want them to know that no matter what, they have parents who will do their job of parenting. In a world that offers fleeting pleasure and empty promises, I want our home to be stable and safe. A sanctuary filled with love. Sounds easy, but it's so easy to lose sight of!
Here's a link to his sight, if you're interested. I encourage you to check it out. He'll say it much better than I ever could! http://www.gordonneufeld.com/

3 comments:

Kim in NC said...

Iris,

I've thought about the day(s) that my kids leave home and have actually cried over it already. They are 7 and almost 13(this month) but I know how fast time has already gone by, and it just keeps getting faster.

Your kids are blessed to have a mom that not just loves them, but wants to connect with them.

Have a great day!
Kim

Unknown said...

Iris,

Thanks so much for your post. I agree.

My daughter and I have a wonderful relationship. And that's what it's about, relationship.

She's 19 years old and we are best friends.

Thanks again!

Sheryl

Sheryl said...

Iris,

Thanks for this. Love that line that it's not a how to issue it is a heart issue. I pray that I do have my children's hearts & in turn that they will really give them to their Lord. Going to that link now.

Sheryl