Saturday, December 13, 2008

What Else

You know what else I love about Christmas? The secrets.

How can I not love a celebration that causes my 60 something parents to giggle and tease and sneak presents into the house? I grin from ear to ear when I see them do it-and they do it every year.

How can I not love a season in which my "too cool to care" teenagers can be found under the tree shaking presents with a twinkle of expectation in their eyes. They'll go to amazing lengths to try and get a clue or a slip up of the truth out of me, loving the whole game.

One of those same teenagers, who's never been able to sleep on Christmas eve, will still not be able to sleep this Christmas eve. He just can’t, because he’s so excited.

And so am I. This year will be no different than the others, and my heart will be full as I watch it all again.

Sappy, I know, but real, and in the midst of recession and hate and heartache, let’s embrace a season of loving secrets and surprises.

No comments: