Friday, September 19, 2008

What Have I Done?

I am sitting here and wondering if I've made a terrible mistake, one that will haunt me for the rest of my years. One that impacts my family and their well being.

You see, I sold Bob's grandmother's soup pot. I know you're thinking, "That's it? THAT's the big confession? So what?" Or maybe you're thinking, "You did what? How could you?" Either way, I understand.

For the first years of our marriage, I tried valiantly to fulfill my Mennonite woman role as a homemaker, which of course, involves the making of delicious soup-without a recipe! I failed though, until the fateful day I inherited the soup pot of Bob's dear grandmother, who raised 17 (yes-17) children and, I'm thinking, made a lot of soup! What was interesting to note was that right after I inherited the pot, I began to make very good soup. We always jokingly said that the ability came with the soup pot. At least I thought it was a joke.

Bob and I are in the process of weeding things out of our life and home that bog us down and hold us back. Over the last few weeks we have emptied many closets and cupboards of things we've held on to over the years (truly amazing. I recommend it) and which we really don't need any longer. When I got to the cupboard with my pots I realized that I never use The Soup Pot any more, since I have 3 very nice, new large pots that I use in its stead. So I made the difficult decision to let it go.

I SOLD IT FOR 50 CENTS! To a gentleman who was going to use it for the aluminum. Again, Bob and I joked that there went my soup making ability. At least I thought it was a joke.

The other night I made a pot of chicken soup, my daughter's favorite. Except she doesn't like this batch. She says "It stinks". I didn't think anything of it until today, when I mentioned it to Bob, he replied "YOU SOLD THE POT!" (A statement that taken out of context, would be disturbing.)

Anyway, that leads me here, to a place of seller's remorse and dismay. Will I ever make good soup again?

I want my Soup Pot back......

1 comment:

Jeanine - The Baking Beauties said...

Oh man, I shouldn't comment, cause I hold onto EVERYTHING (bad habit I should kick NOW). I understand sellers remorse (and buyers remorse too, we've all had those moments). Hang in there, give it another go. Maybe it was just an off day...

Don't think about the pot, Iris, don't think about it! :)