Thursday, February 5, 2009

Faithful

I just delivered a message to someone attending a meeting of our Ladies Sewing Circle here at the church and in the process received a healthy dose of encouragement for myself.

Five beautiful women, many whom I've known since I was a little girl, gathered around a table for a time of reading Scripture. They were taking turns today, reading verse after verse, with voices that have gotten shaky over the years. I don't think there's a woman under 85 gathered there this afternoon.

As I listened to them read I realized what was touching me was that these women, in their many years, have experienced God's grace over and over, and therefore have a deeper understanding and knowledge of the promises they are reading. True faith developed in tough circumstances-some more difficult than I can imagine. Some have buried children, some have buried husbands, some have children who still are not believers. But they know their Lord and they take comfort from His Word and trust Him to take them through whatever lies ahead.

May my faith grow and become more beautiful, as theirs has, and may others be blessed as they see my trust in the One who is worthy.

1 comment:

Kim in NC said...

Iris,

Glad you to see you back in blog land and the forum!

And isn't it just the neatest thing to see people that just totally receive God's word for what it is - truth. Boy I am so far from really getting it, but my prayer is like yours - wanting to grow in my faith and trust in Him.

Hope you're doing well!

Kim