Monday, July 28, 2008

Diary of a 42 year old Jogger

6 am: The alarm is going off already????? It's too early! Hit the snooze button!
6:30 am: Well, I guess I should get up and get out there for my run. Maybe in a few more minutes...
6:40 am: OK OK , I'm going. If I don't go soon it will be too warm.
6:50 am: If bending over to put my shoes on is this hard, what will a run be like?
6:52 am: Hmm, beautiful morning. Glad I'm out here.
6:53 am: Good start to my run, I'm feeling not too bad.
1/2 mile: Yikes-those leg muscles are complaining already? I've only just started! How will I keep going further than even a mile? Maybe I'll keep it short today. Take it easy on myself.
3/4 mile: This is hard! How did I do 3 1/2 miles two days ago? I must be crazy to think I could do this again!
1 mile: Well, I made it at least a mile. I've got to hit that "groove" soon, right? It'll get easier, right?
1 1/4 miles: A short run wouldn't be too bad-after all, I'm only disappointing myself. My loss. (Or not, in the case of weight. I guess I'll keep going!)
1 1/2 miles: Is fitness really all it's cracked up to be? I mean really-is something this hard really that good for us? I could be at home enjoying the morning on my deck with a cup of coffee-no pain involved.
2 miles: I made 2! Not too bad. I guess I'll go for 3.
2 1/4 miles: It's getting a bit easier. Maybe I'll go for 3 1/2 and at least match my last run.
2 1/2 miles: A mother deer and her fawn! How absolutely gorgeous! Thank You Lord, for encouragement when I needed it! I think I can keep going.
3 miles: Well, I made it this far. I think I can do another 1/2 mile...
3 1/2 miles: You know what-I'm going for all 4! I haven't run 4 for years, but I think I can do it today!
3 3/4 miles: Is that the Rocky theme song I hear??
4 miles: I did it! I did it! Whew-that was hard, but so worth it!


And there you have it-a small peak into my mind as I struggle down the road. Every single morning that I'm out there I am reminded of the parallel between running and my spiritual life. This "diary" could easily be my thoughts as I go through my spiritual walk. Stepping out of safety and comfort to be challenged and to gain strength is difficult. I do it, but I generally hit that "wall" of pain and discouragement, not too mention weariness. There are moments of wondering if I wouldn't be better off back in my comfort zone. There are moments of rationalizing going back and quitting. And then, come moments of satisfaction and even of direct encouragement from God. They couldn't be from anyone else, so I keep going. And before I know it, I have gone farther than I've ever gone before. The joy in that moment is exhilarating and though it doesn't erase the pain and struggle that were a part of the journey, it makes it all worth while.

"And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith." Hebrews 12:1b-2a.

3 comments:

Jeanine - The Baking Beauties said...

Iris, you ran 4 miles this morning??? WOW!!! You go! I've often thought of taking up jogging, but that's about as far as it gets.
So, how do you run that you can pick how far ya wanna go? Do you call for a ride when you're as far as you can go? :)

Iris said...

I wish! No, since I live in the country, I have certain markers that I know mark every 1/2 mile or so (end of a field, start of a bush, etc..) so I know how far away from my driveway I need to go in order to make up another mile by the time I'm back. The hard part, on a day like today, when I was challenging myself, is to run PAST my driveway when I am already tired in order to get another mile in. And, I always tell myself that I can walk home if I just can't make it jogging. Apparently my stubborn nature is good sometimes, since it keeps my jogging when I really want to walk!
Now the test comes tomorrow-can I do it again?

Jeanine - The Baking Beauties said...

lol, I'm always just afraid of getting to where I am too pooped to go back home. Like me, I drive bike to my parent's house occasionally which is 6 miles from here. The thing is...I get my Dad to give me a ride home! I'm pooped after 6 miles! LOL!
you rock, I wanna be you when I grow up! :)