Thursday, July 31, 2008

Listening

I have a new pet peeve.

Or maybe it's not new, I've just run into it so many times in the last week or two that I have to vent about it. Whatever the case, you get to hear about it now.

I am frustrated with people who act like they are listening to you , but really aren't. Worse, they ask you a question and then never really listen to your answer. Why did you ask me, if you didn't care about the answer?

Plus, I have run into people who act like they are listening to me when I am voicing a concern or frustration, and then jump in when I am done and basically tell me that I shouldn't let it bother me. I know very well that I can't let small frustrations take over and get me down, and try not to do that, but sometimes, when you think it's safe, you want to share a bit of what you are dealing with. I guess it's not always safe.

Sometimes, you don't need an answer, you need a listening ear and understanding.

And then, after I vent this, I have to ask myself how often I have done these very things. And I have to face that I have probably done it, especially to my children, more times than I want to admit to. So, let it be known here that I will try to LISTEN to my kids (and friends) and let them voice their fears, concerns, frustrations, etc. without offering a quick answer.

Listening can be hard! Jumping in and fixing things or trying to make the problem go away is so tempting. May I learn to be patient and allow my loved ones the freedom and space to work through things on their own and a safe place to do that. And, to value them enough to give them my full attention when they are telling me what's on their mind.

1 comment:

Jeanine - The Baking Beauties said...

Oh man, I hear ya! I really, really do. I've had people do that to me a lot too, and it's frustrating. I've actually stopped talking mid sentence when i realize they're not listening, and they don't even notice. That bad. But, you're right, I'm sure I do the same things to my kids. Things are big deals to them, when we just brush it off. Good point. I'm going to try to be a better listener to them as well. :)